The implementation of state sovereignty on the coasts and ports to provide the necessary facilities for expansion of maritime commerce, coastal communications and collection of the prevalent emolument and tolls are parts of PMO duties which were set at 25 November 1814 AD.
In 1949, the General Agency of Ports and Shipping was founded in Roads Ministry instead of General Directorate of Ports.
On 25th May 1960, the General Agency of Ports and Shipping was changed to Ports and Shipping Organization and its responsibilities and authorities were increased.
On 31st May 1961, this organization was transferred to the Department of Commerce, and on 11th March 1963 or after the formation of the Ministry of Economy, it turned to a subsidiary of this ministry.
On 20th September 1964, the maritime law, which was arranged in 194 articles, came into force and since 3rd July 1966 the Ports and Shipping Organization was separated from Ministry of Economy and became subordinate to the Ministry of Finance with all its budget, employees, and properties based on the law.
In 1974, this organization was again separated from the Ministry of Finance and joined the Roads and Transportation Ministry. According to the decree of the Guardian Council, which was sent to the Islamic Consultative Assembly by a letter, the name of Ports and Shipping Organization was changed to Ports and Maritime Organization and all the rules and regulations which were dominant in Ports and Shipping Organization were exactly applied in the Ports and Maritime Organization.